Tuesday, December 28, 2010

It Has Been A While

Since the last posting I've been somewhat busy with substitute teaching and working at a restaurant off and on. A lot of the time spent as a substitute was in the same art room from October through mid-December. This was a great experience because I was able to work with about 300 new students on various projects.

At first I was asked to do mostly all holiday-themed art for Halloween and Thanksgiving, but then I was able to expand a bit more with the seasonal winter-themed projects. Even though these projects were clearly product-based I got to introduce some fundamental art concepts like patterns, horizon lines, paint techniques and drawing skills. The next dozen or so posts will cover these projects with more detail.

And, as always, I encourage anyone who feels inspired by what they see to "borrow" these projects for their own classes or themselves. After all, sharing what I learn or what I know is a fundamental component of my personal educational philosophy. As a teacher, keeping anything to myself seems contradictory to my purpose in life.

In later posts, I will also share the projects I made as gifts for my friends and family this Christmas. I can't post all of these just yet because some of them are yet to be delivered to their respective recipients.

But first, let me share with you what I did for Halloween this year. I made aliens out of newspaper, aluminum foil, masking and duct tapes, pipe cleaners, glitter fun foam and hot glue. These figures are about foot tall each and were a big hit! I think they'd also make a great 3D project with upper elementary or middle school students.


No comments:

Post a Comment