Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Mitten Grade 2

The last lesson I worked on with the second grade was based on the book The Mitten by Jan Brett. In the story lots of different animals seek warmth in a lost mitten.

The students used photocopies of the animals in the book to help inspire their own colored-pencil drawings of animal heads. These would then be glued to a piece of construction paper with a fleece mitten to look like the animals were nesting in the mitten. Fiber fill would be used yet again to make snow and snowflakes (either pre-bought or cut out) would be added. I didn't get to see the students' projects finished, but here is the example that I made:



This is a difficult drawing assignment for second-graders, though. If I were to do this lesson in my own class, I would probably go with third graders instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment