Sunday, February 6, 2011

Valentine's Day Projects

'Tis the season of hearts and mushy, gushy stuff so I thought I'd share some valentine's day ideas. A few of these are things I've come across while substitute teaching last year and a few are of my own creation.

First up, my newest project -- "Luv Mouse" -- which I would probably use with first graders. This adorable little mouse is made from fun foam, felt, wiggle eyes, poms, ribbon, and fishing line. And its magnetic! I stuck a piece of self-stick magnet strip to the back.


Here are a few projects from substitute teaching. "Op Art Hearts" also incorporates patterns (this was a third grade project) and "Luv Bug" is all about heart shapes, symmetry, and patterns (this was a fourth grade project).



And lastly, "Box of Love". This is actually a box that is not meant to be opened because you lock your love inside it to give to a special recipient to keep forever. Since the box is never opened I upcycled an empty Pop Tart box. I like using scrap booking papers for this project because you can get textured varieties like the felted and embossed papers in this sample. The papers are folded to look like the seams of the box and glued down. Poms, heart confetti and cut-out hearts add Valentine-themed details. The finishing touch (and my favorite part) is the wax seal. You can buy little wax wafers that soften when heated with a hair dryer. Then just press a heart shaped stamper into the warm wax and you get the look of an old-fashioned seal. This project was done successfully with a fourth grade class where I was a visiting artist for the day.

1 comment: