Sunday, February 5, 2012

Value Hearts - Grade 3


The Valentine heart-themed lesson I developed for third grade came about while substitute teaching. I filled in for an art teacher who had called out sick and who does not mind when I try out my own lesson ideas.

I had about fifteen minutes before the students would be coming into the classroom and I thought up this idea. There were heart tracers available in the room as well as white paper and black thin and extra-thin tipped Sharpies. I decided to give a lesson in composition and value.

The criteria of this lesson were fairly straight forward:
1. The traced (in pencil) hearts had to show overlapping and cropping in their composition. And there could be 6, 7, or 8 hearts - no more (too crowded) and no less (too sparse).
2. The hearts had to be gone over with the thicker Sharpie.
3. To demonstrate all three values (light, medium, and dark), students had to use hatching, cross-hatching, and stippling (at least one of each). No hearts could be left white and no hearts could be colored in solid black.

Students quickly learned that spacing between marks was the key to changing the perceived value of their hearts. The learned several new key art-terms: value, hatching, cross-hatching and stippling. And they reviewed a few terms they already knew: overlapping and cropping.

Here are some examples from the class I taught:




1 comment: