Sunday, March 4, 2012

Drawings From Music Class -- Kindergarten, First and Second Grade

Whenever I fill in for one particular music teacher, she always asks me to do some art with the students, which I love to do. Her music room has so many great books that are about music and dance, but also have excellent, inspiring illustrations. Last week I came across three books that I really liked and had the students make drawings after hearing them read aloud. These were only half hour classes, so for many of these drawings the students only had about 10 or 15 minutes to work on them by the time the books were read and the materials were distributed.

One book was Giraffe's Can't Dance by Giles Andreae.

I read this book to the first graders and they made some great drawings of animals dancing.



Another fantastic book that I came across was Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp by Carol Diggory Shields.
I read this book to the kindergarten students and demonstrated step-by-step how to draw some instrument-playing dinosaurs. A few students even made their own dinosaurs without my help at all.


I found a third book of silly animal poems, but now I can't remember the title. If anyone knows what book I'm talking about feel free to comment since I'm really stumped. This book had black & white line drawings for illustrations. The first poem in the book was about giving a giraffe a bath. Other poems included one about toasting marshmallows with a dragon, being too late to take your doggy for a walk and he makes a puddle, a "wittle wabbit", a "see" horse who can see a girl and her daddy, etc.

Anyway, with this third poetry book I let the second grade students come up and select a poem to read to the class. They could NOT show the illustration. The students then had to decide which poems were their favorite and make their own drawings to go with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment