Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Felted Bunnies.... Just In Time For Spring!

So today is the first day of spring. I don't believe it, not with ice and snow on the ground and on my car.

But all of the snow this winter prompted me to take up a new craft -- needle felting! During Nemo I felted my first bunny using wool roving that I had purchased over the holiday break. I posted that one little bunny to my facebook page and ended up with several requests for bunnies for Easter. So I spent a few more storms and many evenings felting away until they were all finally finished.

Should I ever decide to make another felted animal I am calling them "Felted Friends" so that if I do open an Etsy shop they already have a name. They each take a few hours to make though, so I am not sure if I will continue to make them for sale. They might end up being something I only make as gifts.This is the image from the packaging. On the back are lots of details about wool roving, handcrafted needle felting, caring for the product and how these are NOT toys. I also included contact info, including the blog address.


Felting is not for the faint of heart. If the sight of blood makes you woozy DO NOT DO NEEDLE FELTING. I pricked my fingers many, many times with that little barbed needle. It doesn't draw a lot of blood, but enough to make you stop your work in fear of making polka dotted animals. And you break quite a few needles if you felt a lot. I think they just wear out from too much stabbing into the wool.

If you do decide to take up felting, there are a few really great books out there. Such as Wool Pets by Laurie Sharp and Little Felted Animals by Marie-Noelle Horvath. I found both of these very helpful in getting stared with 3D felting. There are also plenty of other books available for 2D felting and for felting without needles.
  
And here are some more felted bunnies... the eyes are sewn on seed beads using embroidery floss. The mouth/nose is also embroidery floss. I do not knot it off; instead I just snip it with about 1/8" hanging and use the felting needle to push the thread into the animal.  Add ribbon in your color choice!












No comments:

Post a Comment