Sunday, July 7, 2013

High School Printmaking Unit: Post One

So, I know I said I was giving up substitute teaching, but turns out I CAN'T not teach. Teaching art is too much a part of who I am. So, when I was offered the position of long-term art sub covering for a maternity leave for the last three months of the school year I had to say yes. Even though it meant a lot more work than anticipated and juggling my existing job as an office manager in the afternoons and evenings, it was a great experience.

Now, I know it is summer vacation and most, if not all, teachers are taking the time to do anything other than think of teaching. Despite that I am going to take the time, now that I have it, to share with everyone a very successful printmaking unit that I developed for the high school students this spring. I hope you enjoy seeing the fruits of their hard work -- I really pushed them beyond their usual limits.

For this first post... just a teaser. This is what the display case looked like outside the art room. I added new prints with each new project so that the case provides a fairly complete overview of the print unit (it is only missing the last few projects). Having them all on display in the corridor and in the art room itself made have an end of unit group critique a whole lot easier, too. The number stickers allowed students to reference the works easily and often anonymously.


No comments:

Post a Comment