Thursday, February 6, 2014

Rotational Motif # 9

2014 will be a year dedicated to creativity (and a few other things). To encourage that I joined an online group of art teachers in doing an Art Journal Exchange. What is this, you ask. Well, each of us acquired a sketchbook of some sort and made a first entry (maybe with a theme) then sent it on to the next person to add to. In the end we will each have our original sketchbook back with contributions from twelve other artists. Pretty cool, right?

Well, the sketchbook I was sent had a theme for mandala-like designs. Perfect for my paper quilled series. How exciting!

Rotational Motif #9, January 2014, Copyright Margaurita Spear, private collection of Julia Schickel


I worked on the 4" square design for weeks, a little at a time. Probably for about twenty or so hours total. The color scheme was inspired by the sketchbook owner who sectioned off pages with green marker. I chose a green section.

I haven't done much quilling in months and this is just what I needed to remind me how much I enjoy it and how zen it can be.

This particular design fits into my rotational series. The colors are bright and remind me of spring even though we just had a heap of snow here in MA. The shapes and patterns, almost hint at a Celtic cross to me, but you may see something else (others have).

Hopefully, there will be a return to quilling in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment